Attack of the Gooseberries

I know Pyracanthia is regarded as a good hedge for deterring intruders but ranking a pretty close second has to be the Gooseberry bush!

I've been 'training' mine (no, not to attack) for the past two seasons as I inherited them in quite an overgrown state and continued with the obligatory summer prune yesterday.



The patch they're on has a lot of bind weed in it, so that had to come out too, and boy did they put up a fight. I have numerous battle scars, but I won, and have gained two new plants in the process as two of the lower branches have layered themselves. One I'll use to replace the one which just upped and died this year, and the other will become a bartering tool....what do I fancy swapping it for?





On the subject of fruit, my strawberry runners are doing well. More bartering fare coming from this bed me thinks! However, there seems to be a bit of a North South divide going on, which surprises me for a 10’ x 5’ bed. I didn’t think it happened on such a small scale, but hey ho, do my eyes deceive me? There is definitely a flourishing North and a floundering South.

The leaves are all tidied up now and runners ready to pot on and get into place. Going to go visiting with my leftovers over the weekend and see what I can get in return.

My first year of raspberries are in full flush too which is great. I just need to read the book to find out about pruning them properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update