Potato Harvest – Phase 2

Today was time for my second earlies to come out to see the world and I wasn’t disappointed. Orla gave the highest yield and Kestrel were the biggest by far. Definitely some good sized jackets to be had. I lifted a third variety as well today, but I’ve lost the label (repeat offence, I know). I’ll have to go back to my receipt, if I still have it, and see what I ordered. They suffered a bit with the irregular watering and quite a few had split.



I positively enjoyed the ego boost as I sat having my lunch alongside my three piles, strike that, mountains of potatoes while my neighbours cooed over my harvest. Although, in true allotment tradition, one gentleman took the liberty of telling me how he thought I wouldn’t get much off my six little rows and that actually I hadn’t done too bad! How nice of him to stop by and say!


I collected some raspberries and blackberries today too...not too many...because I ate most of them while I was picking...but enough to do something nice for tea.



I was reading an article by Monty Don in the paper the other weekend about gardeners not needing to go to have gym membership. After 6 rows of potatoes were lifted, and then carried to the car, I can safely say I won’t be needing to go to the gym today. If anything, I might have a lie down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update