January Jobs

I received my email 'to do' list via Gardeners World and thought it opportune to see how well I was doing myself, and look back over the month to assess my progress. 
January Jobs
Winter prune apple and pear trees to remove any dead, damaged, congested and diseased branches - Yep...done. All six apple trees have been 'tamed' and are ready to burst into bud once the weather warms up. 
Sort out your seeds, throwing away empty or out-of-date packets and noting down any to buy for the coming season - Well I'm a sucker for old seed packets and I know I have a few beyond their dates! 
Plan this year's crop rotation to ensure you grow each type of crop in a different bed to previous years - Done. I have divided up my new beds into 4 and hope that I'll have enough space. The jury is still out as to whether or not I'm going to do potatoes this year. You can’t beat home grown, but space is now limited so I may have to go without. 
Prune gooseberries and redcurrants, cutting sideshoots back to three buds from their base - These were pruned before I transplanted them from the allotment. Good job as they’re going to be moved again shortly.
Clear old crops and weeds from the veg plot, then dig over the soil, mixing in compost as you go - Two tonnes of mushroom compost have gone into the beds.
Regularly inspect stored crops, discarding any showing signs of rot or deterioration - potatoes are starting to show signs of sprouting but onions are still fine. 
Plant bare-root fruit bushes, trees and canes into enriched soil, as long as the ground isn't frozen - I have my raspberries to go in the ground but I haven’t built those beds yet…the frozen ground has put pay to that. I'll have to wait. 
Ensure netting is in place over brassicas, such as kale, Brussels sprouts and cabbages, to protect from pigeons - I don’t have any in yet...but I have netted my onions and garlic as the magpies were pulling them all out. 
Cover rhubarb plants with a bucket or terracotta pot to force an early crop of tender long stems - As I've moved the four plants, they’re going to need all the energy they can this year so I won’t be forcing any. Next year I might! 
Feed spring cabbages with high-nitrogen feed to encourage leafy growth - no cabbages yet, but my seedlings in the greenhouse are about ready to go in the ground. 
Prune blackcurrants, if you haven't done so already, removing about a quarter of the old stems - done before transplanting. 
Not bad, if I say so myself!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update