Ailing Alliums!

Taking the advice of my sage and guru Mr Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, I decided to try growing my spring onions in guttering this year. At the River Cottage HQ Open Day, we had a demo of the technique and had seen it working well in his polytunnels so thought I’d give it a go! Guttering was obtained from freecycle, cut into 1m lengths and we were ready to go.
The plan was successional sowings, every two weeks. Starting in early spring and following through the summer. Quick to grow, quick to harvest was the advice! Well, a phrase commonly used by Jim Royale springs to mind!



As you can see, I kept going for 8 weeks and then stopped sowing and I’m still waiting 5 months later for my first pickings

And as for my leeks...In heeding the advice of my gardening tips email (remember the one which said to sit back in August?) my pencil thick leeks should be ready to plant out this month! Mine look more like matchsticks! I don’t think they’ll be going out any time soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update