If you can keep your head when all about you are loosing theirs...make jam!

Well, I thought I'd head up to the allotment today for a bit of a break. After chewing the cud over last nights events with my neighbour, he headed off to pick a marrow to make his marrow and ginger jam. I tried this a couple of years ago, but made a bit much and got fed up of it. Maybe I'll try again this year if I've got a glut of marrows. I've got a recipe for chilli jam I pulled out the paper to try when I get a spare moment.

I, however, had a weeding and planting marathon on my hands. I managed to completely weed one bed and get 40 or so leeks in. I had a few stray tomato plants in the bed which had self seeded from the compost I presume. Now, how is it that these self seeded beasts were bigger than all my tomatoe plants put together? Seriously, they were massive but had to come out


I managed to turn the top half of the compost heap today too. I only did the top half as the bottom is ready for spreading but I thought I'd leave that for now.

I then had my new arrival of 100 Brassicas to get in. Dutifully the sun came out which helped me but didn't help the plants. Some had gone a bit mushy in the post which was a shame but I stuck them in and crossed my fingers. I put in 7 Hills Brussels, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Red Sprouts, Spring Greens and Greyhound Cabbage. I had hoped they would fill my gaps in my brassica bed, and I wasn't disappointed! I was struggling for space to get them all in. Being a strictly 4 year rotation freak, I wouldn't just put them anywhere, they had to go in the Brassica section. After a bit more weeding they were all in. Won't be popping up tonight to give them another water which is a shame, but been advised to batten down the hatches and stay in, so fingers crossed I'll get up tomorrow and give them a drink.

I had to pull up a lot of my nasturtiums to make space. It's such a shame, but they really do go mad on my plot. I often wonder if I should give up the veg and just grow flowers and weeds...they grow really well and I could be a step closer to that smallholding I crave if I could find a wholesaler to take all my bindweed!

My strimmer broke today too. Just stopped for some reason! I'll put the battery on charge tonight and see if a rest for a couple of days will aid its recovery.

How the time flew...as always. I didn't take lunch as I didn't think I was going to be that long so I had to settle for strawberries and raspberries - it's a hard life!

Fingers crossed for the strimmers recovery and that the brassicas take.

Potatoes coming out next. Hopefully tomorrow! Must remember the camera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update