It's getting busy - rhubarb and spinach galore!

I can't believe it's only been 6 months since I started work on the veg patch.

I'm harvesting rhubarb by the armful. The 4 transplants I've left alone but I have one large clump left in situ which is doing a sterling job!
This is the inherited rhubarb, just behind my autumn sown broad beans. This is the one I'm harvesting.

These are the four I transplanted from the allotment. I'm not picking these this year while they get their strength up.
I read in a magazine last week that Sweet Cicely is a great herb to cook with rhubarb. I'd never even heard of it before. It's supposed to be sweet (as the name suggests) with an aniseed flavour. I brought a small plant online to grow up. It can tolerate shade so it might not be suitable for the herb garden as my herb garden is in quite a sunny spot. I've potted it up and left it in the greenhouse while I decide what to do with it.

Sweet Cicely
 I usually cook rhubarb by itself or with the zest and juice of an orange. I'd really recommend trying it with orange as it beautiful.

I've also got an abundant crop of spinach both inside the greenhouse and outdoors.  Corn salad is doing great and the chickens love it too!

 
Spinach in the greenhouse.
Outdoor spinach, Swiss chard, cabbage and cauliflower under cloches.
Second sowing of salad it in the ground in the greenhouse and third successional sowing is in a tray atthe two leaf stage.
Mixed salad leaves coming through in succession. I think by the time they're ready to plant out, they may go outside.

Lettuce in the foreground, Corn Salad in the background in the greenhouse. A few spring onions in between.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Spring Update

First Eggs!