I've just brought a tonne of...



Mushroom compost.


Literally, yes, I've brought a tonne. I don't think my back will thank me for it, but hey ho!


Mushroom compost is a useful by-product of mushroom farming. The compost is made by using organic materials such as hay, straw, corn cobs and hulls, and poultry or horse manure. These products are formed into a rich organic media. Once a couple of mushroom crops have been grown on it, it's discarded by the mushroom farm and people like me can buy it. Mushroom compost is a type of slow-release, organic plant fertiliser. It's sterilised before use, so it shouldn't have any weed seeds in it either.


I'm hoping it will not just go towards filling my new beds, but also condition the soil, provide valuable nutrients, and also help improve my chalky soil. If I use it on top it should be a pretty good mulch over the winter before I dig in come the spring.


UPDATE - A tonne doesn't go a long way. it's all shifted through to the back garden and 2 and a half raised beds have been filled but that's all. I'm not going to rush to get some more just yet as it really was hard work. Hopefully, come the spring, the loam pile will be ready to spread and can do some of the rest of the beds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update