Autumn Update

It's been a while since my last post...what with summer holidays and then going back to work, things have been busy. But ... I'm still on top of the allotment... fulfilling my plan to be even better this season!
The strawberry bed has been tidied up, and I have trays of runners potted on to pass out to friends. The last of the seasons potatoes have been harvested which will make way for my autumn onions and garlic going in. I've got my raspberries to cut down today, and to weed my winter brassica bed - hopefully for the last time as the weeds start to slow. I live in hope!

This year I'm growing 3 varieties of garlic - Early Purple Wight, Provence Wight and Red Sicilian. I grew these last year and got a good harvest so thought I'd repeat the same varieties this year, and hopefully repaeat my sucess. I've tried with numerous varieties in the past - I used to get a pack from The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight, but some varieties just didn't do much in my soil. As for the Elephant Garlic, after a couple of tries, I think I might phone Trading Standards as I think 'Elephant' is misleading. They came out the same size as they went in so not doing that any more either.

That said, I ordered the onions and garlic online, and upon opening the parcel, found I had been sent Bella Italiano instead of the Red Sicilian so there might be a fourth variety going in if I don't have to send them back. As for the onions, I've got Red Cross, Troy and Radar this year. Following the same idea as with the garlic, these were successful last year so I'm repeating the same varieties.

My leeks are all planted out - I'm not sure if 10 rows is a bit excessive, but I'll have to wait and see how I get on. I like picking them early and having 5 - 10 of them, quickly blanched then wrapped in Emmental cheese and Parma ham and baked in the oven. Lots of freshly ground black pepper and a fresh crusty loaf is just the ticket. Musselburgh and Blue something I've got in this year. I'll double check the name and get back to you.

My auatumn broad beans are ready to be sown. Hopefully later today! I've decided not to over winter peas this year. I found they didn't come to much, and with the harsh weather we've had over the past couple of years, I thought I'd stick to just spring sown varieties.

I'll take some photos today and  updata again this week so you can see how I'm getting on.

Off to make a flask of coffee to take up with me now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st June Update

Making Cider

Spring Update